May your hearts not be insensitive. Lk 21,34-36read more
Learn how Fazenda da Esperança arrived in Itainópolis, Piauí, and the story of its patron saint Nossa Senhora dos Remédios
The unity is the result of the desire of the then bishop of the diocese of Picos-PI, D. Plínio José L. da Silva, who, due to the expressive work of the Esperança Viva Group in his city, had the desire to establish a unit of Fazenda da Esperança.
In 2010, he felt the need to give a concrete answer to the drug problem in his diocese. Upon seeing the evident signs of hope, following the results obtained in the Farms and Esperança Viva Groups, he offered as a donation a property of the diocese, located in the municipality of Itainópolis, 40 km from the city of Picos, with approximately 111 hectares.
After an analysis of the area by the regional officer together with the general presidency of Finance, the donation was approved and the implementation of the unit started.
The devotion to Our Lady, under the title of Remedies (or Bom Remédio, do Remédio), began with St. John of Matha, founder of the Order of the Holy Trinity, and who died in Rome on December 17, 1213. With the aim of rescuing enslaved Christians in Africa and the Middle East, São João da Mata and São Felix de Valois founded the Hospital Order of the Holy Trinity in 1198. For this, they needed large sums of money. So they resorted to the help of Mary Most Holy, the remedy for all the needs we encounter in life. They were abundantly attended and managed to free thousands of brothers in the Faith from slavery.
In the medieval language, the verbs "redimere" and "remediare" and the nouns "redémptio" and "remédium", had a similar meaning: to redeem, to redeem, to rescue, remedy (with the meaning of salvation, liberation). This explains why, in the writings of the XNUMXth-XNUMXth centuries, the three titles are given to the patron: “do Remédio”, “do Resgate”, “da Liberação”.
The oldest representation preserved today is a Romanesque image, which belonged to the first house of the Trinitarians in Marseille: the Virgin is seated, with the Child on her left arm and the money bag on her right. The scholarship alludes, as many biographers report, to the apparition and help given by Our Lady to Saint John of Matha, in Tunis and Valencia (Spain). Saint John of Matha was being tormented by Muslims who demanded a double price for slaves already rescued, under threat of returning them to prison. Having fervently pleaded with her as the Mother of Good Medicine, she was miraculously provided for.
According to the book “Invocations of the Virgin Mary in Brazil” by Nilza Botelho Megale (3rd Edition - Ed. Vozes), this invocation, with a typical colonial flavor, was very popular in old Lusitânia, mainly in the cities of Santarém and Lamego. It was introduced in Portugal by French religious of the Order of the Holy Trinity for the redemption of the captives, who were in Lisbon at the beginning of the XNUMXth century.
In Brazil, Nossa Senhora do Bom Remédio is better known with the title “Nossa Senhora dos Remédios”. The Trinitarian friars, with their Confraternities and devotees, endeavored to spread their specific devotions and thus brought to Brazil the cult of the Virgin of Remedies, in honor of which they built chapels in several provinces of the Northeast (Maranhão, Pernambuco and Bahia) and in the baroque regions of Minas Gerais.
In Paraty, his first church was built in 1646 on land donated by Maria Jácome de Melo, under the condition that it be dedicated to the invocation of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios, of which he was very devout. At the end of the XNUMXth century, another matrix was started, which is still unfinished today, as it does not have the two towers, which contain implements and images of great value, such as the old effigy of Senhora dos Remédios, considered miraculous.
In São Paulo, the Remedios church, with its tile frontispiece and its history full of legends, was located at Praça João Mendes. It was the refuge of the persecuted slaves and, in the last times of the Empire, the favorite stronghold of the abolitionists. In 1941 it was demolished to expand the square, formerly known as Largo dos Remédios.
Dedicated to Nossa Senhora dos Remédios, it is also the only existing church on the island of Fernando de Noronha, built in Portuguese style in 1737, shortly after the expulsion of the French who remained there for a year. It is close to the Vila dos Remédios government headquarters.
Source: Our Lady of Remedies via the Archdiocese of São Paulo